Naturopathic Approaches to Fibroids
Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus that effect 20-40% of women in the reproductive years (before menopause).
There are a few noted links between fibroids
- Estrogen is involved in their growth
- African-American women are at higher risk then Caucasian women
- The risk for developing fibroids declines as you approach menopause
- Women who were younger when they had their first period are at higher risk
- Risk declines with pregnancy and each additional birth
- Alcohol and caffeine intake are linked to development of fibroids
Common Symptoms linked to fibroids
- Heavy bleeding with period – changing pad/tampon very often
- Anemia (iron deficiency) – due to blood loss
- Pelvic pressure in the form of
- urinary frequency
- urinary incontinence
- Pelvic pain
Vitamin D – has anti-tumour properties, studies have shown vitamin D is linked to decreased size of fibroids.
Talk to you Naturopathic Doctor about laboratory testing to make sure your vitamin D is in the proper range.
EGCG – epigallocatechin gallate constituent found in tea, (highest in green tea), has anti-inflammatory, antiproliferative and antioxidant effects. EGCG is linked to a reduction of size of fibroids.
Fiber – especially in the form of ground flax seeds is helpful at binding excess estrogen from the body and eliminating through the bowels.
Low saturated fat – excessive saturated fat can be linked to increased inflammation which impacts the development of fibroids, and associated pain.
Exercise – is excellent for weight loss and maintenance, yoga is also supportive in focusing on breath and improving circulation to the pelvis.
Acupuncture – has been linked to decreasing size of fibroids and controlling pain, acupuncture points are chosen to help bring circulation to the pelvis to restore balance.
Contact me to learn more about how to balance hormones and treat fibroids naturally.